At various holidays, both for children and adults, weddings, parties, piñata is becoming more and more popular. This entertainment came to us from Mexico, where it is an essential attribute of a children’s birthday. See joy-pup.com for how to make your own holiday piñata.
What is a piñata?
A piñata is a papier-mâché ball decorated with colored or glitter paper, brightly colored ribbons, and filled with sweets. It is in limbo and in order to get tasty contents, you need to break it with a stick. Piñata can be of various shapes, not bulky (0.5 cm – 1 m), but most often created in the form of animals, numbers or geometric shapes. In addition to sweets, it can be filled with all sorts of pleasant things: small prizes, confetti, coins, soft toys and other unexpected surprises. This is a great alternative to fireworks, giving a lot of positive and good mood.
The piñata is hung at the level of the child’s head, he is given a stick, he hits the toy, and when it breaks, tasty contents fly out of it. It gives children indescribable pleasure. You can not break the piñata, but make it open, and then the child will be able to play with it after the holidays.
Making a piñata out of cardboard
Piñatas are an important part of the celebration of many events. They are not only fun, but also very easy to prepare. Here are some easy steps to create your own piñata.
You will need: cardboard, thin paper for the template, twine, PVA glue, corrugated or crepe paper, scissors, masking tape or thread with a needle, piñata filler.
- Draw a template. It can be a geometric figure, an animal or an imaginary creature.
- Transfer the template to a solid piece of cardboard, circle and cut out all the details.
- To connect the panels and assemble the figure, you can use a thread with a needle or masking tape. After the panels are connected, cut holes in the finished figure to pass the twine for hanging.
- Fill the piñata with sweets. The most interesting thing about a piñata is its content. Fill it with candy, cut paper and small toys.
- Now you can decorate the piñata with crepe paper, add some embellishments for extra aesthetics.
- Finally, hang the piñata with twine or ribbon. It is important that it is strong and does not tear in the process. Glue a few ribbons on the figure.
How to make a balloon piñata
The rayed ball is the most popular piñata shape in Mexico. It can easily be built from a balloon. It gives a round shape, so you can make many other interesting shapes in the form of a pineapple, animal head or cartoon character.
You will need: the largest balloon, PVA glue, twine, newspapers, scissors, corrugated paper, piñata filler.
First you need to tear or cut the newspaper into strips, from which the shape of the piñata will be created.
- Inflate the balloon to the desired size and hang it on a clothespin or clothesline. Note that the vertices and the center must be proportional.
- Cover the balloon with glue and glue the newspaper strips in two layers. Leave some open space near the base. Attach the first layer of paper to the ball with water so that it can be easily pulled out from the inside at the end of the whole process. Let it dry for 2 days.
- If the piñata is too soft, cover it with 2 more layers of newspaper with glue and let it dry for a day.
- Puncture the ball and pull it out. Decorate the piñata with cut corrugated paper in the form of a fringe.
- Fill the piñata ⅔ full of candy. Pass the twine through the part through which the ball was taken out. Seal the gap with paper or masking tape.